805 West Centre Street, Shenandoah PA 17976
District: (570) 462-1936
High School: (570) 462-1957
Elementary: (570) 462-2796
Shenandoah Valley School District
The Shenandoah Valley School District believes that homeless youth should have access to free and appropriate public education and wishes to limit the barriers that homeless children may face. Our goal is to have the educational process continue as uninterrupted as possible while children are in homeless situations.
Homeless students are defined as individuals lacking a fixed, regular and nighttime residence, which include students living under the following conditions:
1. Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
2. Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to lack of adequate alternative accommodations.
3. Living in emergency, transitional or domestic violence shelters.
4. Abandoned in hospitals.
5. Awaiting foster care placement.
6. Living in public or private places not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings.
7. Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, transportation stations or similar settings.
8. Living as migratory children in conditions described in previous examples.
9. Living as run-away children.
10. Being abandoned or forced out of homes by parents/guardians or caretakers.
11. Living as school age unwed mothers in houses for unwed mothers if they have no other living accommodations.
Below are links to resources with further information and details. Should you have any questions, you can contact the SVSD Homeless Liaison, Val M. Chittalia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570-462-1957 x4130.
Pennsylvania Department of Education - Homeless Education.
Pennsylvania Department of Education - Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program.